The Art of Storytelling :
Storytelling has always played a significant role is preserving our culture and tradition since earlier days. It is because of these stories that we are able to know who our ancestors were and what culture we belong to. Storytelling is not just a process of narrating a story, but is in fact an art of delivering story which manages to inspire, entertain and mesmerize the audience.
The Art of Storytelling is as old as storytelling itself. Without the proper Art of Storytelling, the story does not hold much significance. It is the skill and talent of the storyteller which makes the story come to life. The most important thing while storytelling is to add emotions or feelings. Each and every storyteller has his own way or style of delivering stories.
Some of the points that a good storyteller should always follow are:
- To choose only those stories that interests him.
- To point major incidents and events in the story.
- To understand the moral value or message of the story.
- To use expression, change in tones of voice, hand movement, gestures, body language, etc. while narrating a story.
The Art of Storytelling involves use of certain elements such as:
- Emotion- while telling a story it is very important to put an emotion or expression in the telling. These expressions or emotions bring life to the story.
- Characterization- There are several characters in story, so to distinguish between these characters the storyteller needs to implement different tones or voices for each character and he can also try several gestures or body language for them.
- Variety in Delivery- A storyteller should bring in variety while delivering story by bringing change such as loudness, silence, speed, rhythm, etc.
- Props- props can always be used by the storyteller, which works well with some event or action in story.
- Sound Effects- Sounds effects can prove to be pretty useful while delivering story.